Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thoughtful Thursdays - Great expectations

Oyaku donburi, is a Japanese meal in a bowl consisting of egg, chicken, mushrooms and onions (I have enjoyed it with other vegetables as well) in a delicious sauce served on hot rice. For me it is a great all season comfort food.

My friend and I went to see an early movie the other day and were looking for a bite to eat after. We decided on Japanese food and headed off to a local restaurant where we had dined before, albeit some time ago.

The first thing I noticed when we got there was that the ownership had changed. Not a big deal, it happens all the time. The menu remained the same and the staff were as friendly as I remembered.

I had decided on the way that I was going to order one of my favourite dishes, oyaku donburi. The first warning flag flew when the server was not sure what I was ordering. Once I showed her on the menu, all was good...

... or so I thought. I could not believe my eyes when the bowl arrived. This was not what I ordered, it was chicken teriaki on rice. Maybe I ordered the wrong item? No, in fact this is a short version of the conversation that followed:

Me: "This is not what I expected when I ordered oyaku donburi"
Server: "What is the matter?"
Me: "Okaku donburi is egg, chicken, mushrooms and onions (I have enjoyed it with other vegetables as well) in a sauce served on hot rice.

Server: "Tell me how it is made"
Me: "That would the chef's job"
Server: Would you like to order something else?
Me: No


Many apologies later they did not charge me for the meal I did not eat and promised faithfully that the next time we came in, they will be ready to serve oyaku donburi in the manner in which it was expected.

Next time I thought? I really don't think there will be a next time.

I have a theory about the new owners. They purchased the business and unfortunately did not hire a qualified chef. They did not examine the menu and decide whether or not they were capable of serving all the items listed. As a result, my expectations were not met and they have lost one potentially repeat customer forever.


Learning: Do not offer what you can not serve.

Good selling,
Richard

1 comment:

  1. hi....i agree with you.Really i enjoy your chat with the Servrr.Thanx fot the blog postiPhone iPad Application Development

    ReplyDelete