Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thoughtful Thursdays - What Are Your Sales Challenges?

I have worked with many business owners as they launched their ventures. One of the most common barriers to success they experience is the challenge of achieving forecasted sales revenues.

For some it begins with just getting out of the gate and making the calls to prospective customers. For others it is much further along in the sales cycle when it comes time to closing the deal.

No matter where you are in the sales process there are obstacles to overcome. Knowing how to address these challenges is the key to success.

I recently met with a client who is having difficulty closing a sale. When asked what they thought the issue might be the response was: “I think they (the prospect) are hesitating to purchase because …” Stop the presses! Stop thinking for the customer and find out for sure. Ultimately the deal may never close but it is up to you to find out why it went off the rails. The answer I was looking for would begin: “They (the prospect) told me the reason for the delay was…” It is tough to help when the issue is not positively identified.

Selling is very near and dear to my heart. Admittedly biased, I believe the sales function is the most important component in any business. This is where the rubber hits the road as they say.

Every Thursday I will be sharing thoughts and experiences on the subject of sales and welcome your comments and feedback.

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment