Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thoughtful Thursdays - Please make it an enjoyable experience

I had an experience last week where a supplier tried to sell me package of services I did not need, resulting in a not so enjoyable experience that led to me driving for a harder deal than I was originally satisfied with.

A bit of background first. It is common knowledge that telecommunications companies are in an extremely competitive market place and variable pricing is commonly strategy. This means that there is often a better deal available to those who ask for it. Based on the services I currently subscribe to and packages available, I felt that I would able to save 15% to 20% a year.

I was ready to spend whatever time it took and speak to as many people as needed to get what I wanted. I was also prepared to move to a competitive supplier if necessary, although I preferred to stay with the incumbent supplier.

It started out pleasantly enough. We reviewed by current service and the representative came back with a recommendation that would net a savings in the range of 5%. Because I was expecting to save more, I questioned the package. They began to talk about all the additional services I would enjoy. Full stop... what additional services? When did I mention I wanted more? I did not even recall being asked.

Instead of backing off to confirm my needs, I was told that this was the best they could do. The experience was starting to go quickly down hill and I expressed my concerns about being sold what I did not need to have. My next conversation was one step up the ladder in responsibility. Once again it began well and once again they did not ask me what I really wanted, they made assumptions that should never be made by any sales representative. I admit that I did not offer an excess of information as I was testing their approach.

In the end I suggested to them what package would be best for me, and why; which services were best to keep and which ones could be taken off the list. I hope they listened and learned as much as I did from the experience.

The final solution was much better than I was expecting, but the fact is that I was would have settled much earlier for a higher price if they had only taken the time to ask the right questions and understand the answers. As a result, I am now be saving 30%.

They left tangible money on the table (an additional 10%). They needlessly spent extra time with me, when they could have been talking to another customer. So how much did it really cost them?

Today's thought: Make the buying experience enjoyable for your customers and the value of your product or service will increase.

Good selling,
Richard

P.S. Yes, I should have made this call a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment