Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thoughtful Thursdays - A few words on personal selling

What are the characteristics of a successful sales person? Recall a buying experience where you had a choice of vendors to choose from and think about why you chose that person. I begin many sales sessions by posing this question to the group and create a list. The following are common characteristics:
  • Knowledgeable
  • Trustworthy
  • Not too pushy
  • Attentive
  • Asks relevant questions
  • Helpful
  • Doesn't try to sell me something I don't need
  • Truthful
I have had input from sufficient people to have a good sample size. What these lists tell me is that people generally agree on the characteristics a sale person they choose to deal with will possess.

After the list is created I ask one more question: "Are these characteristics that your friends demonstrate?"

All things being equal, people like to deal with people they like - go figure.

Do not underestimate the importance of relationship in your business dealings or the time it takes to develop this relationship. How long does it take you to make a new friend who you trust?

Good selling,
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment