Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thoughtful Thursdays - I can't take your call...

 
... personally right now, please leave a detailed message...

Voice mail, how do you handle it? Some tell me they never leave messages, others always do.
 
I always leave a voice message when given the opportunity. It is part of my overall sales process. In fact I also have a script prepared to remind me what to include in the message. I will also practice the message, there is nothing more annoying to me than listening to an unorganized rambling, unintelligible message, and I have to believe there are others that feel the same way.
 
Here are some suggestions for what to include in any message you leave:
  • Who you are
    • Your name and company name
    • Who referred you (if applicable)
  • Why you are calling
    • Be clear and concise
  • Call to action
    • When you will call back
You want to be able to communicate this information in less than 30 seconds. That does not mean a one minute message jammed into 30 seconds. I do not set the expectation of receiving a return call, so I will always indicate when I will be calling back if my prospect does not have the opportunity to do so.

I believe that leaving a voice message is an opportunity to communicate with a prospect that is missed by many sales people. It establishes a reference point to measure your sales process on and allows you to plan your next actions so you can get on to the next call.

Good selling,
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment