Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wise Wednesdays - The Tortoise or the Hare?

You’re probably familiar with the tortoise and hare story. During a race the hare decides to go for a nap knowing he can easily outrun the tortoise. Upon awakening the hare realizes he has overslept and rushes off, but to no avail, the tortoise crosses the finish line first.

I began a career coaching and training business back in ’93 thinking like the hare – looking at quick ways to market my business. I could have saved myself a lot of money and grief had I thought more like the tortoise: Looking at the norm of how businesses in my industry market their services and then methodically using these same approaches to market my business.

Ironically, once I learned about proven marketing methods I got more business with less money. Instead of placing glitzy ads in magazines, I was busy networking and following up with contacts. Instead of doing public workshops, I tailored my workshops to the needs of the marketplace. Of course the time it took me was longer but the results sweeter and more satisfying.

From time to time, you hear how a particular business tried a zany marketing idea and succeeded. What you don’t hear is how many did the same and failed miserably. I am reminded by a saying by the Dalai Lama (by now you probably can see I’m a big fan of his), learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.

There are times when you need to seize opportunities when they present themselves. That usually happens because you’re prepared and the moment presents itself.

Now that I have a solid foundation I may decide to try a new marketing idea. I have successfully played the role of the tortoise and I can now try my luck being the hare. But one thing I can assure you is I won’t be taking a nap.

Wise Questions:What rules do you need to learn first?
How can you be more like the tortoise and less like the hare?

Cheers,

Dominik

No comments:

Post a Comment