Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wise Wednesdays - The 3 Page Solution

“One can acquire everything in solitude - except character.” -Stendhal

One exercise that has served me well, both in business and in life, is what is referred to as journaling. I don’t do it every day but I do it when I have a burning question, dilemma or situation that is pressing.

Here’s how it works. First thing in the morning when you wake up go to the kitchen table (or any quiet space) and make sure there is no music or distractions. Write your question or dilemma at the top of a blank page.

Now write whatever comes to mind without stopping until you’ve filled up 3 pages. If you can’t think of anything write “I am writing” or “this is silly” etc. Do not censor your responses – no one has to read this but you. You can even rip it up when you’re done. Don’t edit or cross anything off. The key here is to keep your pen flowing.

I find by the time I am on the third page I have written some very insightful and sometimes surprising responses to my question -- always truthful.

Speaking of writing in peace and quiet I will be on holidays for the next 3 weeks and not writing any blogs.

Enjoy the summer.

Cheers,

Dominik

No comments:

Post a Comment