Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thoughtful Thursdays - Commit to do instead of hope to do


The other day I overheard a sales representative on the their telephone say: "I was hoping to get back to you in a day or two with the information."

I could not help but wonder how the person at the other end of the conversation felt about this response. Would it have a negative effect on any future dealings, or in the worst case prevent a sale from taking place?

I do not like to leave the matter of getting back to a customer to hoping. "In a day or two" also makes me cringe a bit. It leaves one open to a range of expectations that is avoidable.

A different approach might go something like this: I expect to have that information in two days and will follow up with you by Thursday. (If the conversation took place on Tuesday) Will that be satisfactory?

I have found that by taking the approach of offering a time line that meets my own requirements is acceptable in the majority of cases. If it is not, the customer will tell me and an action plan to accelerate the process will result.

Make your commitment specific and remember to confirm that it is acceptable.

Good selling,
Richard
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment