Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thoughtful Thursdays - Networking or not working?

I read an article in today's Toronto Metro (the daily magazine for commuters) titled "New approach to networking". It focuses on networking for employment opportunities, but obviously applies to marketing activities as well.. After all the only difference between a job search and looking for new customers is the product that is being offered.

The article reports on the book The Power of Who, by Bob Beaudine.

I am not sure the "new" approach is really new, but the theory is sound. Spending more time networking with the people you know will likely pay off faster than attending events where you do not know anybody. Don't stop expanding your network, but work on the people you know first.

Start by making a list of everyone you know, and that means everyone, then pare the list down to your friends.

Friends like, and are willing to help their friends out. It seems simple, but I can't tell you how many times I have to remind my clients to work their own network before going out to find another.

If networking is important to your business, you may find the article interesting. I have to say that in the first year of operating my own business, 100% of the customers came as a result of tapping into my existing network. That network grew again through contacts made from the new customers. I rarely attend "networking" events these days with any expectations beyond hearing a speaker present on a topic that interests me..

My suggestion: Grow from who you know.

Good selling,
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment